My life is nothing if not ironic… as I write a post on the importance of choosing an expert international shipping company to transport your purchased antiques from Europe back home, I sit in my own Berlin home, surrounded by crates and boxes, as I await the movers to transport my things to my new home in Venice. The challenges are many… I’m leaving a 2,000 square foot apartment and settling in just over 800 square feet. When the fire burned my 1st Berlin apartment to cinders, there was nothing but sadness and regret for all that was lost in the fire… but I had no decisions to make, the fire consumed nearly everything I owned. As I move to Italy, I have to make choices on what to take, what to store, and what to sell or give away… hard but necessary choices. Our things are important to us. They tell our stories: where we’re from, who we are and who we hope to be. Choosing a caretaker to package and move your treasures – whether you’ve owned them for decades, a few years or merely days – is an important decision. And yes, ironically: over 3 days I lost two movers: one mover’s truck broke down and he can’t meet my move-out deadline. I quickly booked a second mover, who notified me 24 hours later that my shipment was too large for them to handle (how large can a 800m² shipment be? I showed him photos and provided a detailed description of my requirements, and they accepted the contract – then canceled the following day.) I have rebooked: third time’s the charm! (One friend who heard my tale of shipping woe bravely inquired, ‘But don’t you have a share in an international shipping company?’ Yes! but moving to Venice has unique challenges: that’s why I was hiring experts at moving to Venice!
Our belongings are important to us. Whether your purchases are for your home, for a client or to stock your shop, I always recommend you hire international shipping experts to safely transport your purchases home. That’s why when I launched The Antiques Diva® shipping services, I partnered with a firm with over 50 years expertise in international shipping.
My friend and client interior designer Ashley Gilbreath, owner of Ashley Gilbreath Interior Design, took several Antiques Diva shopping tours, and now uses our buying services and our in-house art and antiques shipping service to collect her goods from the dealers and warehouse; crate, wrap and protect her pieces; then ship her purchases home to Alabama! Behind the scenes our AD&CO Logistics team handle all the paperwork, taking photos of her inventory and managing all the details involved in an international shipment of valuable antiques.
Ashley graciously allowed us to share her shipping story with you, so you know what to expect when shipping antiques internationally.
When combined with more modern pieces, antiques add a sense of patina and character to a space.
– Ashley Gilbreath, Interior Designer
Antiques Diva Shipping Services: Turnkey From Purchase Right to Your Door!
At AD&CO Logistics we offer 3 types of shipping services and 3 modes of transport.
Dependent on your final destination, you may choose to have your goods shipped by air, sea or land. You choose the level of shipping service which is most suited to your specific needs and budgets.
- From collection point in Europe until ship reaches destination port
- Up until the point where the container is released
- At this point, the client’s customs broker takes over
- All above PLUS the container is delivered to the client’s requested delivery final destination
- Empty container is picked up 2 days later and returned to the shipping line
- White Glove
- All above PLUS goods are unloaded and unpacked at the client’s requested delivery final destination
- Movers will place the goods as directed by the client
There are three phases to Antiques Diva shipping services: Documentation, Load and Ship, and Delivery.
1st Phase: Documentation
- AD&CO Logistics collects all PO (Purchase Order) books and photographs related to your purchases (if booked on an Antiques Diva Tour, then we receive this information from the Diva guides responsible for your tours, regardless of the number of vendors or the number of countries)
- Before we can collect your goods, the vendors must first be paid. Typically the client sends one wire to AD&CO Logistics and then we manage all the payments on your behalf
- Once all vendors are paid, we collect your items and consolidate them back at our warehouse
- We prepare all the various customs paperwork and file it on your behalf so that your goods can leave Europe
- We create a detailed packing list using the international coding system so that it can be reviewed by the customs broker in the destination port
- All your goods are then safely packed at our warehouse, loaded into a container and taken to the port to be placed on a vessel from one of the global shipping lines
- If required, we fumigate
Prior to shipping we store your goods in our secure cold storage warehouse in Antwerp.
Our packing service including wrapping your goods in protective materials, crating, loading on pallets for transport, and using the most advanced art and antiques packaging and crating industry practices.
AD&CO Logistics creates a detailed inventory list for shipping, organize all customs and VAT paperwork and the export and import documentation necessary for your goods.
2nd Phase: Load and Ship
Shipments are organized in 20ft, 40ft or LCL ( Less Container Loads), and can be a full or partial container:
- We load your goods in a container and deliver to one of the major global shipping lines (such as Hapag-Lloyd, Maersk, etc)
- When shipping by sea, depending on the destination port your goods will be at sea for 2-3 weeks – can be longer depending on weather
- Your customs broker – or one selected by us – will work on your behalf at the destination port to ensure your items are cleared. They prepare your customs clearance at the destination. They have all the documentation and compute the final import duty (tax)
- Once your goods clear customs and then you paid all import duties, the customs broker notifies the shipping line that they can now release the container
- The shipping line will then instruct a trucker to contact the client and set up an appointment for delivery of goods to final destination
Your full or partial container is carefully packed by our shipping experts to protect your goods during transport.
Our team are experts at the jig-saw puzzle of international shipping to maximize how much you can safely ship at a reasonable cost.
Large goods can be safely wrapped, fragile goods may require custom crating: each piece is carefully assessed to protect your investment.
3rd Phase: Delivery
There are several different steps involved here and the client’s specific responsibilities will depend on the type of shipping service they have purchased (port vs door-to-door vs white glove). Remember, at any point in this process, you are free to contact AD&CO Logistics by phone, email or text if you have questions or concerns. In general, the following steps will happen once the ship containing your goods arrives at the destination port:
- Your container will either be “dropped” at client’s destination or it will be a “live unload”. If dropped, the client is given a number of days (usually 2 days) to empty, or “free”, the container. Each additional day beyond the allotted time will be charged at a daily excess fee rate
- Depending on type of shipping service purchased, the client will need to organize the unloading and unpacking of the container (e.g., hiring movers, etc)
- The only time the container is unloaded for the client is if the client purchases “White Glove Service” which is a significantly higher price than “Door-to-Door Service”
- When a client hires “White Glove Service”, the goods are unloaded and unpacked by a local mover and then delivered to the client’s final destination and placed at the direction of the client. If “White Glove” is purchased, all of this will be arranged by AD&CO Logistics on behalf of the client
- Once container is empty, the shipping company returns to collect the container and bring it back to the port
Our AD&CO Logistics invoice provides explicit detail of all shipping charges
Ashley received her shipment in October. When I asked her about her experiences with Antiques Diva shipping services, she said:
Super easy and straight forward! This is usually the one element of the process we are relatively unsure of. This time it was organized, easy to follow and simple!
Contact Ashley Gilbreath Interior Design
- Instagram @ashleygilbreathinteriordesign
- Pinterest @ASHLEYGILBREATHINTERIORDESIGN
- Parish Shoppe
1614 GRAHAM STREET
MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA 36106
Do you still have questions about international shipping of antiques? See our Frequently Asked Questions
FAX: +32 (0)3 283 73 49 MOBILE: +32 (0)478 01 01 01
Do you want to discuss an Antiques Diva Tour or our shipping services? I’d love to hear from you: email@example.com
Toma – The Antiques Diva
Today’s guest post is from one of our favorite clients, Bruce Bailey. He booked an Antiques Diva Paris Flea Market antiques buying tour of the Marché aux Puces, the famous Paris flea market, for himself and his clients. Shortly before the tour date, we were approached by a TV crew asking if they could film us on tour! Bruce said yes: and then spent 6 weeks in Paris last winter with AD&CO Diva Guide Danielle Pelletier filming our TF1 Documentary (France’s most popular tv channel) that depicts how we work as Paris Flea Market Guides.The documentary (filmed in French) featured three aspects of the Paris Flea Market; one of the focal points of the documentary was the role of an Antiques Tour Guide and the benefits to hiring an antiques buying guide versus trying to navigate the flea market on your own. As the official tour guides of the Paris Flea Market Paul Bert Serpette, I was honored when TF1 contacted us asking for our involvement. (Watch the documentary on replay on TF1: original air date June 11, 2017 – you must have a TF1 account.)
Our role at The Antiques Diva® is really to be an ambassador of design, building a bridge between our mostly American and Australian clients and this French National Landmark. We translate, negotiate and help clients ship inventory home sweet home across the pond.
Danielle was the perfect Diva Guide to be featured on film. She has shopped the market her entire life. She is known and loved by all the dealers, and most importantly she is the world’s best negotiator. The art of negotiation is simple… she is always fair. She always makes sure BOTH parties – her client and the vendors – feel that they’ve won. When everyone wins, everyone is happy! Client Bruce Bailey was dynamic on film – we’re convinced this just kick-started his on-air career! Bruce used AD&CO Logistics, our in-house art and antique shipping service, to get his flea market purchases home – so he experienced the full Diva package!
I was thrilled when Bruce sent us this review of his experience working with Diva Guide Danielle to share with you – our team of locally based Antiques Diva Guides are my secret weapon to making sure your Antiques Diva tour is everything you hoped it would be!
Shopping the Paris Flea Market with a Diva
There is a little secret I know about that many of you who want to shop the Paris Flea Markets should know about as well – The Antiques Diva & Co.
I was introduced to the service two years ago as I was in Paris with a small group of designers and the AD&CO had been hired to tour our group through the 17 acres that are the Paris Flea Market. We continued on after Paris, touring the antique warehouses of Brussels and Bruges. A friend who had put this little trip together is very astute and had AD&CO on her radar for a few years, following Toma Clark Haines’ blog.
Two years later I found myself returning to Paris with friends – I needed to hire the AD&CO so my friends and myself could go shopping in the Paris Flea Market. I wanted someone help us.
“Help? You?” my friends asked, “Bruce, you’re are pretty self-sufficient and can manage just fine.” Well, true… to a point.
I can find what I want at the market. I am great at scanning a stall and picking out in my mind the item I think is best and even moving on and recalling what stall the object I really want is in. I must admit it’s nice to have the help that is there to negotiate, document the purchase.
Easy enough you think? No, not really. Having an Antiques Diva Guide is like having your own personal assistant.
The other factor is getting the item home. How do I find a shipper and arrange for pick up? How do I know they are picking up the right thing? This is where AD&CO really come into play.
There are several logistic companies out there, but AD&CO has their own. Yes, they are a one-stop shop kind of guide service. They guide, negotiate, document and do logistics. For the price, this makes them very reasonable.
I want to talk about the Guides. I traveled with Toma two years ago, she is THE Diva of AD&CO, but she has several other Divas that work with her. Several teams of them in fact. I have worked with Katie, Lucretia and Danielle. Each is an individual and well-versed in their area of expertise. I must admit that I was drawn to Danielle the first time I met her and knew I wanted to work with her in the future. I just knew she would understand my needs. All of the Divas want to understand the needs of their clients, but you know when you meet a person and there is instant rapport? I was like that with Danielle.
I communicated a bit with Danielle before I left on this last excursion. The Divas want to know their clients. I told Danielle directly that I did not have anything specific in mind, but I would know when I saw it. I have a thing for chairs, chandeliers, beds and really groove on the decorative arts of 18th century, Directoire, Empire, Louis Philippe and Napoleon III. I am not opposed to rustic farm pieces, primitives… honestly, I like too much. I can either be an easy client or difficult. The couple coming with me aren’t sure what they are looking for either. This was going to be an interesting day for Danielle… Because I was a wild card!!!
In the meantime, Toma contacted me and wondered if I am cool with a film crew joining us for some television documentary. I am go with the flow. No problem. Bring it on! Hello Hollywood. Or rather… Paris!
The day for our tour arrives and my clients have just gotten to Pairs and they are sick. Not like they have the plague, but they need rest and quiet. It appears it’s just me, Danielle and the film crew. This has just gotten easy… or difficult.
I am excited though. I have Danielle to myself. Danielle is a treasure and I know this already. I knew it the first time we met. Danielle helped me for about five minutes one day, not even being my Diva, and I knew this is who I wanted to work with. Danielle knows antiques, knows the dealers and has been shopping the market since she was… well, a lady never tells… but a long time.
Danielle arrives to pick me up at my gorgeous little apartment and she makes me instantly comfortable. She tells me what will be happening today with the film crew and again asks if I know what I am looking for.
I tell her I want to see it all.
I have already been to the market the previous weekend. I have been scouting certain stalls. I picked up a couple small items I can carry in my suitcase and a small framed engraving, some small gift items. I like finding bargains…treasures. I also enjoy the curated parts of the market as well. Some of the stalls are cutting edge and are setting design taste, not just reflecting it.
Marché au Puce is 17 acres and if you are looking for something specific you are going to find it. There are museum quality pieces with museum prices. There are also treasures to be unearthed for centime. Let’s say there is something for everyone.
Danielle and I have things to look over. She knows I am not looking for museum pieces but she also knows I appreciate them. Being with Danielle is sort of like being with a walking encyclopedia. She is knowledgeable.
We go through stalls and I am asking about period styles, quality. She is showing me techniques to see if the marble tops are old, if the luster can be brought back into the wood surface and pointing out good doré compared to lower quality. We look over china, chandeliers and an oversized faux bois garden set.
I sometimes get distracted that the dealer has done too much work to a piece. I don’t want something that refreshed… it’s distracting.
Danielle and I are both hungry and lunch is in order. Danielle knows where we can get something hot and a nice glass of wine.
I start to uncoil as we lunch and discuss some of the items we have seen. I have photographed things that caught my eye. I am keeping a record of items and prices discussed, but so is Danielle. That’s part of her job as my PA. We spend the afternoon going through the dealers in Jules Valles and I am finding a few things I can work with. A painted bed is a possibility, I buy a great Napoleon III tray, find a chandelier I must have and this cool primitive bench.
Danielle and I are discussing what this bench was used for. It looks like it should be for children in a kindergarten or maybe church? Its low, six to eight inches off the ground but the seats are wide.
The dealer who has been eating her lunch has noticed us. She comes over and starts discussing the items in a stream of French. I admit I can understand to certain degree, but I am lost in this conversation. Danielle is discovering that this is a ladies milking bench. Maybe for goats, but now we know why its low and why the seats are more adult sized. I could not have gotten that information. My French isn’t that advanced.
Having my Diva there is a blessing and I purchased this great item. I may have not if I hadn’t had Danielle there.
I must admit I have priced other services. I have contacted other services and found out there is a minimum on price, or it’s for 3 hours and they don’t document nor do they have logistics or help you arrange any logistics.
Honestly, for the value of an all-day guide, (and you won’t even scratch the surface of the market in a day) having someone negotiate, document and the fact that they have a logistics service as well. I am no fool. It’s like having someone hold your hand through the whole process.
You think I forgot about the film crew? No. They were there the whole time and got the footage they needed for the documentary. It was actually kind of fun and not normal circumstances. The director was cool as were the film crew.
The next week Danielle took me back to another part of the market. Yes, the film crew was there as by now I was quickly becoming a French film star ;). We went to another part of the market and it was open only for the morning – only for the trade, only on secret access. All in all, it was quite the adventure.
Now it surprising me that people think this is a service for professionals. I would say, every professional should access and use this type of service, but this is the type of service that should be tapped into by people wanting to shop the Paris Flea Market. Maybe two or three friends go in for a day, split the cost and find those signature pieces for their home? Find that look that you see in the magazines. It’s not as expensive as you think. Especially if The Antiques Diva is negotiating for you.
You can never put a price on memories and finding such a service as The Antiques Dive & Co is really worth it. Friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Two thumbs up.
Bruce Bailey is a life stylist, having coined the term long before it became novel or cliché. He is educated in art, history, and art history, with an emphasis on design. Bruce’s eclectic taste and intense curiosity about the world around him have permitted him to become a practicing connoisseur of everything from 18th Century art-and-architecture to modern-era landscape design.
Be Like Bruce
Book a custom, private antique shopping tour with your secret weapon:
an Antiques Diva Guide who will not only customize your buying trip,
they will negotiate, translate and arrange for shipping.
A Diva Guide pays for itself. Just ask Bruce!
Do you have questions about our antiques shopping tours in 15 countries, our buying services or our international shipping? Contact me today at firstname.lastname@example.org
Toma – The Antiques Diva
Think your job is challenging? Imagine packing vintage bronze palm trees for international shipping!
Congratulations! You tracked down and scored that perfect piece – now how the heck are you going to get it home? The Antiques Diva & Co are experts in sourcing and buying rare, valuable and unusual antique furniture and accessories – and we’re also experts at shipping unusual objects and getting them safely to you in your home sweet home across the pond!
As experts in sourcing and buying antiques, we’re also style-spotters for global trends in antiques and design. We work with interior designers, antique dealers and design magazine editors to track and identify what’s trending in antiques and vintage furniture and accessories, then tracking it down for purchase and shipment to our client’s shop or project! A top request at the moment is vintage bronze palm trees; Beth Dempsey’s lifestyle pop-up shop Ancien & Moderne during Paris Déco Off in January 2018 will feature a fabulous bronze mid-century palm tree which will be available for sale. (hmm… if you need a shipper, I happen to know one!)
If you’re interested in acquiring vintage bronze palm trees (and other unusually shaped objects!), AD&CO Logistics can ship them for you! As international art and antiques shipping specialists, AD&CO Logistics concierge shippers are experts in packing and shipping valuable, rare and unusual items for shipment from Europe to destinations around the globe. Our packing service includes wrapping your purchases in protective materials, crating, loading on pallets for transport, and using the most advanced art and antiques packaging and crating industry practices. Based on your requirements, international shipping is available by ship, ground or air.
If you want a job done right… hire AD&CO Logistics to do it for you!
Your goods are taken to our AD&CO Logistics warehouse for inventory, paperwork and custom packing.
With over 50 years’ expertise, our shippers are experts in packing and shipping unusual objects!
Each item is carefully protected for shipment, based on its specific requirements and your preferences.
Whether you’re shipping a single item, a full container or a half load, AD&CO Logistics can safely ship your purchases to your shop or home.
Custom crating ensures valuable and rare antiques and art arrive safely at their final destination.
AD&CO Logistics carefully manages and tracks your goods from pickup to warehouse to shipment to delivery.
Buy your own vintage brass palm trees on an AD&CO Paris or Brussels antique buying tours, or let our expert Antiques Diva Guides source antiques for you!
Toma – The Antiques Diva
Recently I was leading a private tour of the Paris Flea Market, and I happened to overhear a husband telling his wife: but the import taxes will double the price. Naturally, I had to intervene and assure the couple that there is no import tax on antiques over 100 years old… as long as US Customs rules are followed and your paperwork is in order.
How much are the import taxes on antiques?
One of the questions I’m most frequently asked about importing and shipping antiques is how much are customs fees and taxes?
According to U.S. Customs and Border Patrol regulations, antiques are classified as being over 100 years old and are duty-free under provision 9706, providing the importer has proof of age:
Antiques classified under heading 9706 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) are duty-free, provided the importer has proof of the goods’ age (i.e. the year of manufacture). Certain items, namely original artwork, pearls, semi-precious and precious stones, stamps, coins, and collector’s pieces (see 9705 for details) should be classified under other provisions of Chapter 97, (or 71 for stones) even if they are antiques.
Of course, the burden is on the antique buyer – not the seller – to understand US import rules and to make sure all your purchase orders and paperwork are in order. At AD&CO Logistics – our in-house antique and art shipping department – part of our service is to manage all facets of your shipment including collecting your goods from the dealers, tracking your inventory and payments, cross-referencing your tags, packing, complete all export/import paperwork and monitoring your shipment’s progress from the time we receive your goods until they are delivered to you; and keep you advised of the status of your shipment.
Duty on Personal and Commercial Imports of Antiques
Customs paperwork, forms and regulations vary by country, so it’s important to work with an international shipper who has experience shipping antiques, has relationships with customs brokers in your home country and understands all the different regulations on duties on personal and commercial import of antiques:
- Exporter and vendor documentation certifying that the antiques are over 100 years old
- Customs and VAT paperwork concerning the export and import documentation necessary for your goods, including Certificates of Origin and an itemized, detailed packing list including descriptions and weights using the international coding system
- A formal entry is required for antiques imported for resale if the value of the combined shipment is over $2500
- What level of restoration disqualifies an item as antique
- Documentation requirements when your shipment is a combination of antiques and other goods.
- Knowledge of protected cultural property statutes and government certifications required
- Import regulations and government documentation of architectural, ethnological or cultural items that are on a private or public museum’s inventory
- Understanding of the US Value Publications detailing the customs regulations
- Separate custom regulations for artworks, firearms, vehicles, musical instruments and inherited antiques
Our advice? If you are buying a single antique piece or two for personal use, ask your vendor for the documentation certifying your antique is over 100 years old and follow their advice for shipping it to the US, or carrying it home with you in your personal luggage. When importing large shipments of antiques, or antiques for resale, consult an international shipping professional – you’ll save time and money.
FYI: Taxes are state-driven, not federal: which means the amount of tax due on your purchases will vary depending on your chosen destination port.
For more questions about AD&CO Logistics international art and antiques shipping services,
visit our FAQ page.
Happy Antique Shopping!
Toma – The Antiques Diva
Why You Should Choose an International Shipper Who Specializes in Antiques (and not a Regular Shipper)
When shipping antiques you must have safe and secure transportation of fragile and valuable goods:
- Custom crating and packaging in protective materials
- Exploration of the best method to transport your goods
- Detailed documentation for customs and VAT paperwork concerning the export and import documentation necessary for your goods, including Certificates of Origin and an itemized, detailed packing list including descriptions and weights using the international coding system
- Understanding of fumigation requirements of your container
- Insurance for the shipped goods from door-to-door
- Expertise on international exporting and importing antiques including taxes and duties
- Monitoring and communications on the status of your shipment
- Relationships with international shipping regulatory agencies and a network of shippers
- they are experts at packing fragile and valuable goods
- they understand the cost/benefits of transport by land versus sea versus air
- they’re experienced in the detailed and specific documentation required for exporting and importing antiques
- they have worked with international shipping government regulatory offices in other countries
- they have relationships with transport companies in other countries
- they are specialists in shipping logistics and can accurately monitor and report shipment status
AD&CO Logistics Shipping Concierge Services
AD&CO Logistics, a service of The Antiques Diva & Co, provides white glove art and antiques transport and shipping services to customers across Europe and around the globe, including antiques dealers, interior designers, builders and private clients. AD&CO partners with a premier international shipping company with 50 years expertise in shipping services. Your shipping concierge will personally manage all facets of your shipment including collecting your goods from the dealers, tracking your inventory and payments, cross-referencing your tags, packing, complete all export/import paperwork and monitor your shipment’s progress from the time we receive your goods until they are delivered to you; and keep you advised of the status of your shipment.
Our bespoke shipping services will provide you with tags, labels and instructions to identify and inventory your purchases at the dealer or on your buying tour, and our shipping concierge is always available to respond to our customers before, during and after your shipment.
At The Antiques Diva we offer one-stop, turnkey antiques sourcing, buying and shipping services. AD&CO Logistics shipping services offer very competitive rates and the shortest possible handling and shipping time to deliver your goods from the antiques dealer to your door.
I’d love to discuss your international antiques shipping needs: contact me at email@example.com!
Toma Clark Haine – The Antiques Diva®
Have you ever wondered where the worlds leading antiques dealers, interior designers – and mere antiques lovers – go to source fabulous, unique and authentic antiques? The secret: The Antiques Diva® & Co.
Buying antiques is not difficult. Anyone who can google can find an antique store to shop. The trick is in knowing with 1000’s and 1000’s of options – where to go – which dealer has the best inventory, the best prices, who offers the biggest discount, who is prone to having “reproductions” mislabeled as period pieces, who has hidden warehouses full of antiques never put online. The trick is in knowing that person (moi) who has the best little black book of antiquing sources – who has every dealer worth his salt on speed dial – who can get you after-hour appointments with dealers in their private homes or advance access to inventory before it hits the big trade fairs.
When buying antiques it is challenging :
- finding the best antiques dealers in Europe and Asia (they’re usually not online) – plus US secret sources where interior designers shop
- identifying if antiques are authentic – their provenance and history – and if they’re period, how that impacts their value
- how to spot damage, repairs and identify fakes (sadly purchasing antiques is caveat emptor – buyer be ware!)
- knowing what to pay for antiques and how to bargain for a better price, and for dealers what return you can expect on your investment
- spotting a great piece or exceptional value: something unique that tells a story
- shipping your purchases back home without damage
How do dealers and designers find antiques treasures? Shhhhh… The Antiques Diva is their dirty little secret!
At The Antiques Diva® we provide antiques sourcing, buying and shipping services in Europe, Asia and America: one-stop turnkey antiques services on 3 continents. We offer four service tiers, providing you one-stop turnkey antiques services in Europe and Asia. I recently sat down with Steven Favreau of Favreau Design, and filmmaker Fabien Prauss to explain what we do at AD&CO – and how we are the ONLY antiques sourcing service to offer complete turnkey antiques sourcing services:
Video Transcript: Steven Favreau interviews Toma Clark Haines, The Antiques Diva
Steven: My name is Steven Favreau with Favreau Design and I have a dirty little secret: this is the Diva of all Divas, everybody’s secret little weapon when it comes to finding just the right antiques: the diva of all diva’s, Antiques Diva Toma Clark Haines has invited me to be with her today and I’m thrilled.
Hello Toma, it’s a pleasure to have you!
Toma: Thank you so much for having me as your guest!
Antiques Diva® clients often spot a fabulous piece – or pieces – perfect for their latest interior design project, or exactly what they need in their antique shop. But the question is:
How can I possibly ship that home without it getting broken!
At AD&CO Logistics, that’s our specialty: we know how to ship large fragile antiques and art purchase from Europe to their final destination whether that’s across town, across the border or across the ocean. With over 50 years expertise in international shipping, AD&CO Logistics makes the impossible possible. On a recent buying Belgium Antiques Diva buying trip our clients spotted these beauties at an antique dealer’s in Brussels, snatched them up… and left the shipping to us!
Large, fragile antique statue, columns and urns require a crane to be removed from the Brussel dealer’s shop.
The pieces are carefully transported to AD&CO Logistics warehouses in Amsterdam.
At AD&CO Logistics warehouse, the pieces are carefully packed in custom crates for shipping to the US.
Smaller pieces are individually wrapped for shipment.
Large pieces are packed in custom crates for shipment.
THE ANTIQUES DIVA ART AND ANTIQUES SHIPPING SERVICES
The Antiques Diva & Co® is pleased to offer art and antiques shipping services from Europe to destinations around the globe. AD&CO has partnered with a premier international shipping company with 50 years expertise in shipping services. Your AD&CO Logistics shipping concierge will personally manage all facets of your shipment including collecting your goods from the dealers, tracking your inventory and payments, cross-referencing your tags, packing, complete all export/import paperwork and monitor your shipment’s progress from the time we receive your goods until they are delivered to you; and keep you advised of the status of your shipment.
Our international shipping services provide the options of:
∗ full 20 or 40ft containers or partial containers (LCL: Less Container Loads)
∗ door-to-door shipping
∗ port-only shipping
∗ independent or shared location shipping
How to Collect Purchases From Multiple Antique Dealers: International Shipping Questions
On an Antiques Diva Buying Tour, you will most likely make purchases from multiple antique dealers. Based on your shipping requirements, our turnkey international antique shipping services can handle all your antiques buying, sourcing and shipping needs. While every client has unique requirements and specifications, AD&CO Logistic’s 50 years of expertise in international shipping provides superior levels of customer service. Your shipping concierge will personally manage all facets of your shipment including collecting your goods from the dealers, tracking your inventory and payments, cross-referencing your tags, packing, complete all export/import paperwork and monitor your shipment’s progress from the time we receive your goods until they are delivered to you; and keep you advised of the status of your shipment.
Your shipping concierge will personally manage all facets of your shipment including collecting your goods from the dealers, tracking your inventory and payments, cross-referencing your tags, packing, complete all export/import paperwork and monitor your shipment’s progress from the time we receive your goods until they are delivered to you; and keep you advised of the status of your shipment.
Collecting Purchases From Multiple Antique Dealers
1. How do you know where my purchases are?
You will be assigned a personal AD&CO Logistics shipping concierge, who collects all PO (Purchase Order) books and photographs related to your purchases (if booked on an Antiques Diva Tour we receive this information from the Diva Guides managing your tours, regardless of the number of vendors or the number of countries). Then, we pick up your purchases directly from your vendors. We’ll take your purchases from 5 or 10 different sources – often in different countries – and help you coordinate ONE shipping. We’ll sticker your purchases, fill out your shipping purchase orders, even take Tylenol on your behalf as we handle headaches to get everything across the pond to you!
2. If I make purchases at multiple vendors, how do I pay them?
At the time of purchase, buyers typically negotiate a down payment on their purchases. Once your buying trip is over, your goods need to be collected and brought to our warehouse for packing. Normally the client makes one wire transfer to the shipping company (AD&CO Logistics) that covers 100% of the purchases, regardless of the number of vendors. Then AD&CO Logistics pays each of the vendors. This not only reduces the administrative burden on the client but also saves you money as wire transfers made within Europe are free of charge. Obviously, the vendors will not release their inventory to us until they have been paid.
Once all vendors are paid, we collect your items and consolidate them back at our warehouse in Amsterdam. If required by your destination port, we fumigate your inventory.
3. How do I handle my shipment’s paperwork?
Your shipping concierge prepares all the various customs paperwork and files it on your behalf so that your goods can leave Europe. We create a detailed packing list using the international coding system so that it can be reviewed by the customs broker at the destination port.
4. Who packs my inventory?
All your goods are safely packed at our warehouse, which may be Our shippers have 50 years international shipping expertise and know the best ways to pack and protect your goods. If you are shipping your purchases by sea, your packed inventory is then loaded into a container and taken to the port to be placed on a vessel from one of the global shipping lines. If you have chosen an air shipment, we will transport your crates to the airport for delivery to your destination.
I’d love to discuss your international antiques shipping needs: contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Toma – The Antiques Diva®
How do I handle international shipping customs for antiques?
The Antiques Diva® & Co is pleased to offer art and antiques shipping services from Europe to destinations around the globe. AD&CO Logistics has partnered with a premier international shipping company with 50 years expertise in shipping services. Your shipping concierge will personally manage all facets of your shipment including collecting your goods from the dealers, tracking your inventory and payments, cross-referencing your tags, packing, complete all export/import paperwork and monitor your shipment’s progress from the time we receive your goods until they are delivered to you; and keep you advised of the status of your shipment.
How To Import Antiques from Europe: Customs Frequently Asked Questions
At AD&CO Logistics, we prepare the official international shipping customs documentation that allows your goods to leave the European Union:
Once arriving at the destination port, the client will need to have a customs broker. If you do not have a customs broker we will appoint one for you. If you have your own customs broker you are welcome to use your own broker for this process.
- Import duties (taxes) are calculated based on the following:
- Each item is categorized according to an international system of numbers pertaining to materials.
- Each item is dated. For example, if an item is greater than 100 years old, no import tax is assessed.
- The customs process varies – it is always a risk that the customs at the destination port will decide to check the entire ship. If this happens – and there is no way to predict when it will – it creates additional costs as well as time delays. This is a random security check.
- Customs may choose to x-ray crates to see the contents and the client is obliged to pay those costs… for example, an x-ray may cost approx. $200 and there is no choice but to pay it. The customs broker works on your behalf through this process keeping you informed.
- If the entire ship is being checked, then all the scheduled unloading and deliveries will be subsequently delayed. Which could then overlap when other ships come into port, causing further congestion.
- Taxes are state-driven, not federal. Which means the amount of tax due will vary depending on the destination port.
- Import duties (taxes) are calculated based on the following:
For more questions about AD&CO Logistics international art and antiques shipping services,
visit our FAQ page.
Request a Quote
FAX: +32 (0)3 283 73 49 MOBILE: +32 (0)478
How to Ship Antiques from Europe to Your Home
At The Antiques Diva® & Co, we have been helping clients buy antiques in Europe and ship them home for nearly 10 years. Our tips on shipping antiques are based on our experiences working with thousands of antiques buyers, hundreds of antiques vendors, and dozens of international shipping companies and will help you buy antiques and safely ship them home across the pond.
My most important antique shipping tip:
Before you go abroad set up a relationship with an art and antiques shipper so you are prepared to buy and import antiques. It makes it much faster and easier if you prepare in advance! Before you travel ask the shipper to mail you a PURCHASE ORDER BOOK (PO BOOK) and SHIPPING TAGS WITH YOUR NAME ON THEM before your trip so when you’re out and about you have all you need right at your fingertips for buying antiques abroad and shipping them home.
At The Antiques Diva & Co we not only offer Antique Buying Tours: we also have an In-House Shipping Service and you don’t have to be on a tour to use our shipping service at AD&CO Logistics. Other shippers that are well known include EDET, Camard and Chudley. When contacting shippers it’s always wise to get comparison quotes from several shippers. The key thing with shipping – problems can and do occur – but if you have a good relationship with your shipper, it will make it easier to solve the problems when they do occur!
How the Process Works to Buy Antiques and Ship Them Back Home
1) You tell the vendor what you want to buy and who your shipper is.
2) If you have your PO BOOKLET you simply fill in who the vendor is including his PHONE # and EMAIL ADDRESS as well as the COLLECTION ADDRESS for the pieces you’ve purchased and fill in your delivery information as well as LIST ALL ITEMS you’ve purchased. MAKE SURE TO GET THE VENDORS EMAIL ADDRESS AND MOBILE PHONE #.
3) When paying for antiques you have a few options – you can pay the vendor cash – but if the item is a larger purchase price you probably don’t have the cash on you! No worries! Simply fill out the PO and WRITE TO BE PAID BY SHIPPER. This allows you to buy from multiple vendors ON PURCHASE ORDER: PAYMENT AT THE END OF YOUR BUYING TOUR, but a KEY POINT is that once you have issued a PO the item is OFFICIALLY SOLD to you. All Sales are Final. And there are NO RETURNS in Europe on Antiques. The item is marked sold and if you change your mind and decide not to buy the item later on, you burn bridges not only with that vendors but also with his colleagues.
4) When you’re finished buying antiques, email your SHIPPER all your Purchase Orders and your shipper will make a summary of all the items you own $$$$ for. Your shipper will then invoice you for the AMOUNT OWED in INVENTORY and will pay ALL THE VENDORS on your behalf, making the entire process easy peasy pumpkin pie saving you time so you only have to do one payment instead of several payments to various vendors.
5) Most shippers require you pay for inventory via BANK TRANSFER – but some shippers allow you to use a CREDIT CARD. Ask your shipper their payment options.
6) While it’s impossible to give exact shipping costs prior to you making your purchases, you can get estimates on delivery costs from your shipper before your trip by telling them your budget to spend, the types of items you’re hoping to find and providing your delivery zip code. Getting the measurements of the pieces you’ve bought is important to help your shipper quote on shipping costs.
Shipping Impulse Antique Purchases
Scheduling a phone conversation with your shipper BEFORE you travel will make the entire buying process much easier and SAVE YOU MONEY when you’re traveling abroad. Some shippers will even give you their personal mobile # (we do! 🙂 ) so you can call and get a quote mid buying spree. But if you didn’t set up an account with a shipper pre-travel- Have No Fear. If you find something while traveling and haven’t set an account up with a shipper in advance there are options:
- call one of the shippers recommended above for last minute pricing and options
- ask the vendor you purchase your antiques from to ship the item direct to you
You will get better shipping prices if you do some comparison pricing on shipping but you can ALWAYS ship impulse purchases. Don’t let fear of not knowing how to get your purchase home dissuade you from buying abroad!
Do you have more questions about international shipping services for art and antiques? Visit our FAQs, or contact AD&CO Logistics directly.
Toma – The Antiques Diva®