top:2px;padding-right:5px;font-family:times;”>While some of us continue to bask in the glory of summer holidays, others begin to frantically prepare for “la rentrée”. During my four years in Paris, the focus on going back to school, back to work and preparing for the fall season was an important time. I noticed at the end of August each year the vibe in the city changed. Days began to grow shorter, friends lingered less at cafes and the hustle and bustle of the daily grind quickly began to take over, once again. Au revoir les vacances, and hello fall! to 10px; CURSOR: hand; TEXT-ALIGN: center” alt=”” src=”http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kcTb8DnPVW4/SLrH9wqBcoI/AAAAAAAABVE/9upIdVAMzGI/s200/paris-le-loir-dans-la-theiere.jpg” border=”0″ />Before diving into the latest list of divalicious trends for this fall, I want to remind you that trends come and go as quickly as “le vent”. Instead of feeling the need to be uber-trendy, I recommend discovering and defining your own personal style and then infuse a couple of the latest trends into your wardrobe. Your style should always complement who you are as a person; it should flatter your body shape and flow with your lifestyle. After you have established what cuts, shapes, colors and looks work best for you, pull out your foundational pieces and let your creativity take over as you introduce the faithful classics to the new kids in town. Be careful to not over do it and more importantly, stay true to who you are.
Women’s Trends ~ Fall 2008:
Wide leg trousers – Comfy, elegant and stylish. Flattering on any body shape!
Ankle booties – These look great in rich hues, try forest green or purple. to 10px; CURSOR: hand; TEXT-ALIGN: center” alt=”” src=”http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kcTb8DnPVW4/SLrHXAgiIjI/AAAAAAAABUU/8_kL8V8VaN8/s200/ColeHaanBootie.jpg” border=”0″ />Romantic ruffles – Strategically placed ruffles can add grace, beauty and a touch of romance.
Opaque tights – Try them in navy, grey, chocolate, black and aubergine.
A statement necklace – Can take you instantly from day to evening. Adds instant glam to your favorite little black dress. to 10px; CURSOR: hand; TEXT-ALIGN: center” alt=”” src=”http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kcTb8DnPVW4/SLrH-YQjSfI/AAAAAAAABVc/mgs4Inn6OU4/s200/Statement_Necklace.bmp” border=”0″ />Scarves – Wrap up in all colors, weights and lengths.
Plaid – Accent an outfit with a little plaid.
Purple – This royal color makes all eye colors pop!
Men’s Trends ~ Fall 2008:
Vests – They provide instant style over a sweater, tee shirt or long sleeve button down. to 10px; CURSOR: hand; TEXT-ALIGN: center” alt=”” src=”http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kcTb8DnPVW4/SLrHXUTQ2TI/AAAAAAAABU0/e1DWn1HJAr4/s200/Hooded_Vest.jpg” border=”0″ />Cardigans – Button front or zip up; the perfect layering piece for cooler days.
Exotic skins – Croc skin loafers and more. Let your shoes do the talking! to 10px; CURSOR: hand; TEXT-ALIGN: center” alt=”” src=”http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kcTb8DnPVW4/SLrHXITrKsI/AAAAAAAABUc/IRplTVRp_j8/s200/CrocMoccasin.jpg” border=”0″ />Gray – Looks great on every skin tone – just remember to infuse a bit of color.
* Men, be sure to visit your dermatologist in the next month. After enjoying long days soaking up the sun’s rays be sure to ask your dermatologist what you can do to continue your healthy skin care regime. Your doctor can recommend what is best for your skin type as well as for the climate you live in. Also, take this opportunity to splurge on new cologne.
* In order to stay warm and look stylish throughout the brisk months ahead, schedule some time to reorganize your closet. Start by removing, properly cleaning and then storing away your summer wardrobe. Next, pull out sweaters, boots, coats and any other fall pieces and take a few moments to look them over. Be sure there are no stains, moth holes, or fraying hems.
* Does your gorgeous, royal blue cashmere sweater need to be dropped off at the dry cleaner?
* Do you favorite tweed trousers need a fresh hem?
* Are your boot heels worn down to the stud? Stop by your shoe cobbler to have them replaced, then cleaned, conditioned and polished. They will look brand new!
* Also, if harsh weather is an issue in your part of the world go the extra mile and have suede, leather and other materials treated for rain, snow or sleet.
to 10px; CURSOR: hand; TEXT-ALIGN: center” alt=”” src=”http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kcTb8DnPVW4/SLrJ9k_e8eI/AAAAAAAABWE/50_z8p-qLQw/s320/BonMarche.jpg” border=”0″ />Shopping is a favorite pastime of mine and an activity I partake in almost daily!
You might find me roaming a local outdoor mall, boutique shopping up the coast of California or spending the day on Rodeo Drive with a client.
to 10px; CURSOR: hand; TEXT-ALIGN: center” alt=”” src=”http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kcTb8DnPVW4/SLrH-LWKPTI/AAAAAAAABVM/ZcYoRu3135Q/s200/Rabat.jpg” border=”0″ />While I love large department stores such as Nordstrom and Bergdorf Goodman in the US, as well as Printemps in Paris and Harrods in London, I also enjoy wandering boutiques! Boutiques offer a beautiful, unique and fashion-forward selection. Wonderful staples and fun wardrobe additions can be found in just about every boutique I pass! Of course Le Marais, in Paris, is loaded with fabulous finds, as is 24th Street in Noe Valley, San Francisco and Larimer Square in Denver. So whether you call an international capital or a quaint countryside town home, I am confident you will enjoy shopping for the perfect fashion find to spice up your fall wardrobe.
Thank you to Nordstrom, J. Crew, Bergdorf Goodman and Le Bon Marche for the inspirational photos.